Greater Detroit Area
figurative, abstract, modern, contemporary encaustic landscape
I use fire and razorblades to attack and challenge my paintings, pushing me to the limits of my abilities. Where creativity and failure dance, I approach the truth.
Wax and powdered dry pigments have been the consistent medium in my paintings. Encaustic tends to be very visceral, luminous, and deep.
I address the unspeakable and the unthinkable. The dialog with the devil leaves me speechless, but initiates the urge to paint. Art becomes a translator, a vehicle for the impossible that points beyond limitations, revealing repetitions, patterns in history and in our cultural and spiritual evolution.
I am always thankful for beauty. I long for beauty. I know these moments are ephemeral. There is an infinite splendor in the natural processes of entropy and decay. The most sublime include the moment of total destruction, catastrophe, and death. When I succeed I transcend tragedy and see the genesis of beauty and the ephemeral.
In the studio of her uncle Werner Holz, an outstanding German artist, Birgit Huttemann-Holz was exposed to Imaginary Realism/Phantastische Malerei from early age on. Intrigued by the contradictions of the human psyche she first started to write poetry.
While working as a Physical Therapist, she went to study literature, philosophy and media science at the University of Karlsruhe and Philipps-University, Marburg, Germany.
A sudden move to the US triggered an end to her writings. A universal language was needed- a visual form that moved her words beyond the limitations of translation and geography. It wasn't long before she discovered the ancient Greek painting technique called encaustic.
Birgit Huttemann-Holz has exhibited in London, UK, Istanbul, Turkey, Karlsruhe, Germany, New York, Santa Fe, Detroit. She was awarded Finalist of the International Portrait Competition, Society for Art of the Imagination(2011), Invitation to the Biennale Florence, Italy (2011), National Platform Award/ Best of Show, Oklahoma City, OK (2013) and won multiple awards nationwide. Huttemann-Holz lives and works in Detroit.
- 2014 “The Truth lies Somewhere Else” Spring, Paseo Originals Art Gallery, Oklahoma City, OK
- 2013 “ Between Heaven and Earth” , Nov 1- 30, River’s Edge Gallery Wyandotte, Mi
- 2011/2012 "Affairs with Serpents and HeroINES, Nov 12- Jan 31, (3 women show), River's Edge Gallery, Wyandotte, MI
- 2009 "Wherever you are", encaustic paintings, Gallery at the Unitarian Church Birmingham Bloomfield, Mi
- 2008 "Come Away with Me" encaustic paintings, GPAC (Grosse Pointe Art Center), Grosse Pointe, MI
- 2007 Paintings in oil and encaustic, Doan Residency, Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Selected Group Exhibitions:
- Between Heaven and Earth, Oct 5-Nov 15, Solo Show, River’s Edge Gallery, Wyandotte, MI,
- USA Encaustic, June 26-July 20, Arc Gallery, Chicago, IL (juried)
- Christine McCauley Students and Alumni, May 2-31, BBAC Birmingham Bloomfield , MI (invitational)
- Platform Award, Feb 28- March 29, Paseo Originals Art Gallery, Oklahoma City, OK (juried) Best of Show
- PG. Pure genius, Jan 18-Feb 28, River’s Edge Gallery, Wyandotte, MI (invitational)
- Urban Edge, Jan 18-Feb 23, Grosse Pointe Art Center, Grosse Pointe, MI (juried) Second Place
- Nature Speaks, Madonna University, Detroit, MI (juried)
- Man Up! No Balls about It!, The Duderstadt Gallery, Ann Arbor, Mi (juried)
- Mixed Media, Scarab Club, Detroit, Mi (juried)
- Michigan Fine Art Competition, BBAC, Birmingham Bloomfield, Mi (juried)
- Wax, Scarab Club, Detroit, MI ( juried) Honorable Mention
- Where the Wild Things ART, GPAC, Grosse Pointe, MI, (juried) Honorable Mention
- Homage, River’s Edge Gallery, Wyandotte, Mi (invitational)
- Urban Edge, Grosse Pointe Art Center, MI (juried) First Place
- Affairs with Serpents and Heroines, (3 women show), River's Edge Gallery, Wyandotte, MI (invitational)
- Stand in the Place Where you Live, Chelsea Center for the Arts, Chelsea, MI (juried)
- Finalist and Best of Show, Platform Award. Paseo Originals Art Gallery, Oklahoma City, OK (Juried)
- Second Place. Urban Edge, GPAC, MI, Juried, 2013
- Honorable Mention. Wax, Scarab Club, MI, Juried, 2012
- Artslant Showcase Winner. third round/May, 2012
- Honorable Mention. Where the Wild Things Art, GPAC, MI, Juried, 2012
- First Place. Urban Edge, GPAC, Mi, Juried, 2012
- Artslant Showcase Winner, first round/January, 2012
- First Place. Our Rivers our Lake, GPAC, Mi Juried, 2011
- Artslant Showcase Winner, forth round/November, 2011
- Stipend Recipient, “Stand in the Place Where you Live” Collective Enterprise of Chelsea Center for the Arts& Legacy Land Conservancy, 2011
- Artslant Showcase Winner, forth round/ August, 2011
- Finalist, Portrait Competition, Society for Art of the Imagination, Juried, UK
- Artslant Showcase Winner, third round/July, 2011
- Third Place. Fire and Ice, Grosse Pointe Art Center GP, MI, Juried, 2011
- Artslant Showcase Winner, second round/March, 2011
- Second Place. The Green Show, Grosse Pointe Art Center, GP, MI, Juried, 2011
- Invitation to the Florence Biennale, 2011
- Honorable Mention. Resolution, Grosse Pointe Art Center, Grosse Pointe, MI. Juried, 2011
- Artslant Showcase Winner (5th round/September), 2010
- Second Place. Humor Me, Grosse Pointe Art Center, Grosse Pointe, MI. Juried, 2010
- Artslant Showcase Winner (2nd round/February), 2010
- Talentseekers Top 100, Place 27 out of 4500 artists from 85 countries, 2009/2010 , http://www.talentseekers.net/awards...
- Third Place. The Green Show, Grosse Pointe Art Center, Grosse Pointe, MI. Juried, 2010
- Honorable Mention. World Art Expo 09, Master Competition, Brea, CA. Juried, 2009
- Honorable Mention. The Body Eclectic, Lawrence Street Gallery, Ferndale, MI. Juried, 2008
- Second Place. Michigan State Fair, Detroit, MI. Juried, 2006
participated in these exhibits:
Exhibited with these artists
Exhibited with these artists:
Exhibited at these venues
Exhibited at these venues: