exhibition/performance, conceptual, photography, video-art, installation, mixed-media
Delhi-based Asim Waqif studied architecture at the School of Planning and Architecture, Delhi, where he currently teaches as Visiting Faculty. After initially working as an art-director for film and television he later started making independent video and documentaries before moving into a dedicated art-practice.
His recent projects have attempted a crossover between architecture, art and design, with a strong contextual reference to contemporary urban-design and the politics of occupying/intervening/using public spaces. Some of his projects have developed within abandoned and derelict buildings in the city that act like hidden activity-spaces for marginalized people.
Asim Waqif CV
Born 1978 in Hyderabad, India.
- Bachelor of Architecture at the School of Planning and Architecture, Delhi. Graduated in 2000.
- Visiting Faculty at the School of Planning and Architecture, Delhi.
- Member of Peer Group, Khoj International Artist’s Association, Delhi.
Art Projects / Residencies
- Residency at Montalvo Arts Center, Montalvo, CA (Actual dates to be confirmed). 2012.
- Summer residency at Skowhegan School of Painting & Sculpture, Maine, USA (Upcoming, June through August, 2011) Project to be determined. 2011.
- Site-specific intervention in Badrinath in the Himalayas as part of Negotiating Routes, a grant for public-art for smaller towns in India. 2011.
- HAZARD ! , an installation produced by Outset Contemporary Art Fund for India Art Summit 2011.
- 3-month Residency as part of Global Art Program: Waiting for Expo 2015, organized by Artegiovane, OpenCare, FARE; Milan, 2010; Project: Consumption = Exhaustion.
- Agrasen ki bavdi yahan hai !, for 48C Public-Art-Ecology a public art festival in the city of Delhi curated by Pooja Sood, supported by Goethe Institute and GTZ. 2008
- International Eco-Art Residency; a 6 week program involving 3 European and 3 Indian artists at Kjoj, Delhi. Culminated with the production of the piece “Climbing Up A Wasted Chimney” and documentation of research. Dec 2007.
- Light-Art Workshop; Khoj, Dec 2006.
- ‘Baans’, an installation at Khoj, Delhi, as an Associate Residency. 2005
Select Group Shows:
- Tolstoy Farm, curated by Gayatri Sinha, Lalit Kala Akademi, New Delhi
- What after First Showing, curated by Deeksha Nath, NatureMorte, Berlin, 2011.
- Scratch, curated by Swapan Seth for Sakshi Gallery, Lalit Kala Academy, Delhi, 2010
- Form and Phenomenon, Project 88, Mumbai
- Contested Spaces- Incursions, curated by Heidi Fitchner, at 7Art Limited, Delhi. 2010
- Analytical Engine, curated by Heidi Fitchner, at BosePacia, Kolkatta 2009
- Research and Project Development for Formulating an Eco-conscious Approach to Pilgrim Centers on the Himalayas. 2008-10
- Research and Development of Pilot Project for Revitalising Urban Heritage in Bundi, Rajasthan. A conservation project linked to Solid-Waste-Management. 2006-08
- Research and Documentation of heritage water-harnessing systems in Rajasthan, 2005-2007
- Dissertation and Research on Vernacular architecture of hill-dwelling peoples, especially the mud-architecture of Spiti, Himachal. 1999-2003.
participated in these exhibits:
Click here to see all exhibits for
Exhibited with these artists
Exhibited with these artists:
Exhibited at these venues
Exhibited at these venues: