Alison Mc Kenna
- B. 1970, England.
- Lives and works in the UK
- Group Exhibitions
- The Other Art Fair, London 2013
- The Others, Turin 2012
- Berliner Lister 2012
- Drawing Now, Paris 2012
- Bear Pit, London 2011
- Trajector Art Fair, Brussels 2011
- South London Art Gallery 1996
- MA Fashion Central Saint Martins College of Art, London 2007
- BA Fashion Communication Central Saint Martins College of Art, London 1995
- Foundation Course Fine Art Croydon College of Art 1991
- V&B Collection Rotterdam
- Dazed and Confused Magazine
- Interview Magazine
- Attempting to include less of me brings a liberation or freedom into my work. I often try not to think about the composition, to let my hand flow and for the marks and form to appear spontaneously. I try not to prejudge or to intend. Some of my work displays an energetic, agitated urgency. Others are more balanced, though they may also be about imbalance. The form of the work exists in a space between the subtle and the gross though my efforts are directed towards the former as I use my practice as a way to communicate at the subtlest level that I can achieve. Stripped down, it’s about simplicity, energy, light, purity and form. My drawings attempt to translate light - sunlight from the sun and light from within.
- My drawings are abstract in that they are objectless, attempting to grasp formlessness, reality unformed, the inner world, the moment before.
- The sculptures are driven by an attempt to make prosaic materials mostly found wood and other found or scrap materials into an object. Some of the sculptures are left unpainted or only slightly worked.
- With other pieces the raw material is the final piece.
Copyright © 2006-2013 by ArtSlant, Inc. All images and content remain the © of their rightful owners.