The young Franco-Israeli artist Elodie Abergel has been part of the “contextual art” movement for several years, coupling her artistic work with her associative commitment to “Zellige Paris-Jerusalem”, where she is both the founder and coordinator. After her studies in Fine Arts in Nantes, she moved to Jerusalem to pursue her work on what she calls the "Territories of Sharing" (“Territoires de Partages”)
Through her artistic vision and works, she has developed the concept of “art of the present moment”, offering up a humanistic yet poetic and critical view of politics in the Middle East. She identifies herself as a committed activist and sees this land as an open workshop. By immersing herself in the heart of the Israeli and Palestinian culture, she has developed an art which is participatory and engaging.
The focal point of her art is the territory she works within, the borders of which house her energy, whether they are visible or not. To convey this focus to her audience, she uses materials found in her surroundings, transforming them through different mediums (photography, installations, video, performance…) as a function of her expression.
In her work, she also focuses on "repetition" to highlight the absurdity of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Ecole des Beaux Arts in Nantes (France): French Art School Degree, Four years
2003: C.E.A.P. (Fine Arts Teaching Certificate)
2005: D.N.A.P. (National Diploma of Fine Arts)
Photo/video/sound/sculpture /artistic installation/fashion/ textile design.
History and Theory of Contemporary Art/ research methodology/analysis of artworks/General knowledge.
Artist coordinator - French organization Mémoire de l’avenir
- Art mediation workshop with Israeli and Palestinian women and creation of a cookbook
Logo designer - Department of the New York State Police Forecsic Science Laboratory.
Artist coordinator - Israeli organisation Bait Ham
- Directing, editing and subtitling of a short documentary.
Since 2010: Founder, Coordinator and Artistic Director - Paris-Jerusalem Zellige organization –
- Team coordination, planning of tasks, information monitoring (Paris/Jerusalem).
- Establishment of workshops with Israeli and Palestinian children, adolescents and adults (Jerusalem).
- Establishment of participatory street art actions (Jerusalem).
- Organisation of a tour of magicians in Israel/Palestine (Association Magicien du Monde-Paris).
- Setting up and organisation of exhibitions (Paris).
2006-2010: Art & Mediation Coordinator - Beit Esther organization –
- Establishment of artistic workshops with young people (Jerusalem, Sderot, Abu Gosh) and mentally ill adults (Jerusalem).
- Setting up of exhibitions (Jerusalem, Paris, Grenoble).
- Support and development of photo workshops with young Israelis and Palestinians (Paris/Lyon).
- Implementation of the project "Regards Croisés "(Crossed Perspectives) with French, Brazilian, Israeli and
Palestinian teenagers from disadvantaged backgrounds: facilitating photo/video workshops
(Jerusalem/Salvador de Bahia), creating a short film (Salvador), establishment of exhibitions (Paris).
- Organization of seminars "Thinking the Other."
Since 2007: Self-made entrepreneur:
- Production and sale of handcrafted Jewellery and Bags, (Paris/Jerusalem).
- Production (Jerusalem) and selling (Paris) of pictures.
2004: Fashion design:
- Creation of t-shirts for the ISIPCA school in partnership with C.Dior, Versailles.
- Creation of wedding dresses and organisation of a fashion show for designer Michel Schreber, Nantes
Plenary speaker and workshop organiser.
2011: Artistic Mediation in a zone of conflict, by PI4 Doctoral College, Jerusalem.
2011: Territory Sharing Conference, the subject and the institution, University of Geneva.
2010: Territory Sharing and Zellige's house of artists symposium of magazine L’Autre: Arts care, Bordeaux.
2011: Preparation of the exhibition Borderline/Border State with Déborah.Abergel.
2011: Israeli-Palestinian Creations, M.Zographos Cultural Center, (Paris).
Israeli-Palestinian Creations, Commune Libre d’Aligre (Paris).
2010: Sharing Territories, Mr. Zographos Cultural Center, (Paris).
Sharing Territories, University of Bobigny, (France).
2009: Women, The GIL, (Geneva, Switzerland).
Crossed perspectives, Catholic Institute, (Paris).
2008: Israeli and Palestinian youths enduring the conflict (Paris).
2013 : Liquid Cities & Temporary Identities, (Espoo) Finland
2013 : Sharring tables, (Haifa) Israel.
2012: Cor (ps)-respondence, (Paris) France.
2005: Arc sewing, Lieu Unique, Nantes,(France)