John T. Lange
In my work, I bring order to the chaos that engulfs us in our lives. Our surroundings overstimulate us as they continue to become overdeveloped. My idealized imagery strives to create scenes that break through the clutter to show a cleaner and more simplistic vision of our terrains. By attempting to tame these forces, I reveal landscapes that have been obscured by modern progression.
The settings I create are a result of my constant surveillance of our environment. I document my observations through drawing, photography and video which I later use as reference material to create formal and controlled renderings. The collages, drawings and paintings that I create are made of paper, graphite, wood and paint. Sculptures and installation pieces often use repurposed items from the very landscapes they are derived.
My current work is inspired from earlier multi-media installations that involved memories and nostalgia. I create microcosms to set the stage for a larger concept to be placed. Over time, I have discovered that the most minute details can be far more interesting than a grand spectacle.
- Tyler School of Art, Temple University. Philadelphia, PA. Graduated January, 1997. B.F.A. Received Edith Weil Hecht Memorial Award from Sculpture Department for outstanding achievements. Majored in sculpture with additional studies in art history, graphic design, painting, photography, and printmaking.
- Temple University Study abroad program in Rome, Italy. Temple University. 1995
- Cirrus Gallery. Part of the Pacific Standard Time exhibits. Los Angeles, CA. March 2012.Open Network, group exhibition.
- Pacific Standard Time. Los Angeles, CA. January - March 2012. Artists' Tower or Protest,group exhibition. Organized by LAXART and the Getty Research Institute. Curated by Cesar Garcia.
- LACDA. Los Angeles, CA. December 2011. Snap to Grid , group exhibition.
- Shoshana Wayne Gallery. Los Angeles, CA. July - August 2011. Chain Letter, group exhibition. Curated by Christian Cummings and Doug Harvey.
- Vox Populi Gallery. Philadelphia, PA. January - February 2009. One is Silver and the Other Gold.
- interReview Journal. Issue 7, Artist Project. Collaboration with Suzanne Lacy of a limited edition printed art piece titled, time between is the spine of this book.
- 222Gallery. Philadelphia, PA. December 2005 - January 2006. Something in the Water, group exhibition.
- ILK Gallery. Denver, CO. May 2000. Group exhibition.
- Vox Populi Gallery. Philadelphia, PA. 2000. CannibalEyes, solo exhibition.
- Vox Populi Gallery. Philadelphia, PA. 1999. KooKaHaRa, solo exhibition.
- I.C.A. (Institute of Contemporary Art). Philadelphia, PA. August 1998. Group exhibition.
- Vox Populi Gallery. Philadelphia, PA. 1998. New Members, Group exhibition.
- Gallery Joe. Philadelphia, PA. 1997. Solo exhibition.
- Temple University Gallery. Rome, Italy. 1995. Group exhibition.
- Help Wanted Gallery. Stone Harbor, NJ. 1995 – 1998. Exhibiting artist with many solo & group exhibitions.
- Exit Gallery. Regensberg, Germany. 1995 – 1998. Exhibiting artist with many solo & group exhibitions.