Art is my dance with the universe.
natural science, quantum physics, poerty & music: Rilke & Bach; anthropology, mathematics (Fibonacci Series, Golden Mean, fractals), and bi0-diversity.
Rockland, Maine (new)
landscape-mappings & botanical hybrids (2013- )
Botanical Hybrids & Winged Seed Pods continue to evolve. Conceived in the tradition of the dream-time paintings from the ancient aboriginal peoples of Australia; my landscape-mappings are about migrations, solar induced seasonal rhythms, and ocean tides.
In the studio, I am thinking about the vast cyclical migrations of whales, monarch butterflies, and birds. I am aware of my own circadian clock, the rotations of star constellations, phases of the moon, and the earth's song lines.
Like a great symphony or a shaken snow globe, all of this living matter is ever swirling, ever fluctuating, settling only momentarily in balance to be earth's breathing.
Layered papers, old maps & fused velum, using special process. Graphite pencils, colored pencils, ink pen, water colors, and acrylic paints; on quality paper or archival clay board.
The Lakota believe that a spiritual landscape exists within the physical one; the Navajo believe each landscape has its own sacred order.
Scottish architect, designer & watercolorist, Charles Mackintosh and the writtings of Michael Pollan (Botany of Desire) and Barry Lopez (Arctic Dreams).
bronze sculpture (1986- )
With an MFA, trained in classical figurative scultpture, I trace my artistic lineage from the ancient Egyptians to the Archaic Greeks and up through to Michelangelo; then on to Rodin, Maillol and Marini.
These avian humans, part animal or bird are things which I intuit. They are manifestations of the femine archetype. They may be angels or Buddhist Bodhisattvas, but, like the interpretations of Rilke in his Duino Elegies, these creatures exsist in liminal spaces ~ or as Wordsworth called these uneasy, yet divine modes,... “spaces of being”.
Currently very limited inventory of bronze sculptures; while moving to open new Maine studio and change foundries.
- Cooley Gallery, Old Lyme Ct. 2010-2012 (bronze sculpture)
- New Britian Museum of Ameircan Art, Ct. annual juried members show:
- 2008 winner of sculpture prize: "Prospero's Book of Air" ~ a flying figure
- 2012 sculpture "Scottish Nike" small bronze
- 2013 painting,"Higgs Boson Particle" ~ large painting (77"h x 44"w)
- Polonaise Gallery, Woodstock Vt. 2001-08
- Alla Rogers Gallery, Washington, DC 1990-98
- City Gallery, Artist Co-operative, Washington,DC 1989-91
- Dumbarton Oaks Washington, DC 1990
- Ipomal Gallery, Landgraff, Netherlands 1991 (one person show)
- Neyagawa, Osaka, Japan 1988 (by invitation, group show)
- Muscarrelle Museum, faculty show W&M, Williamsburg, Va. 188
- Numerous local exhibits annually...
select teaching experience:
- Farmington Ct. Public Schools, (K-12) 2001-
- Miss Porter's School, 1998-99
- Sidwell Friends School 1991-98
- American University (adjunct prof.) 1987-98
- College of William & Mary 1987-89
- Additionally: public & private schools; museums, art centers, private lessons....
- Trained in: Reggio Emilia, Arts PROPEL, Understanding by Design
- MFA from American University, Sculpture with Honors, 1986
- National Sculpture SocietyYoung Sculptor Award & Scholarship;
- Graduate Honors Scholarship, and the Watkins Gallery Purchase Prize
- BS from American University, Art Education, 1981
- AA from Endicott College, Early Child Developement
- Endicott Fellow Award, 1977