Cal State University Long Beach, 1963, BA
Arizona State University,Tempe AZ, 1964, Grad Certificate
digital, photography, performance, installation, abstract, assemblage mixed-media, poetry-reading, visual, Art, science-fiction mixed-media
I love to experiment and discover new ways to perceive the world. My art is inspired by scientific theories and new technologies. The past collides with the future to determine the present.
I have been working and exhibiting as an artist for more than thirty years. I am also a poet and performance artist. My writing has appeared in numerous newspapers and magazines.
My last full-time employment was as the Director for a model mental-health program called The Clubhouse (employed at The Mental Health Association and Pacific Clinics). In that role, I emphasized the benefits of art and writing to help clients control symptoms. I developed and facilitated several art and writing workshops for mental health consumers. I wrote a successful grant for an art program to help clients explore their creative abilities. I was the art-curator for several shows featuring work produced by adults with mental disabilities; I wrote articles dealing with the benefits of art education; and, I designed and edited two collections of art-and-writing created by disabled adults. I worked in this field for fifteen years.
I was the first art director and editor for Beyond Baroque Magazine in Venice, California. I was instrumental in starting the Beyond Baroque Art Gallery where poetry readings were held on a weekly basis. I managed the gallery and organized special events.
Since 2003, I have devoted my full attention to art. I work in photography, assemblage, painting, and digital imagery. I have received several awards for fine art. I have a blog of short stories and art at: leebalanarts.wordpress.com
- 2nd City Arts Council Gallery, Juried Show, Long Beach, 2007
- Palm Springs Art Museum, Juried Show, Award Winner, 2007
- City Hall of Palm Springs, Juried Show, 3rd in category, 2008
- M-modern Gallery, Group Show, Palm Springs, 2009
- Gallery Mystere/The Vault, Solo Show, Palm Springs, 2009
- Woods Gallery, Group Show, Joshua Tree, CA, 2010
- L.A. Center for Digital Art, “Snap to Grid” Group Show, 2010
- Take Root Festival, Group Show, San Francisco, June, 2011
- L.A. Art Association Gallery 825, Group Show “Out There,” 2011
- Lifework Gallery, Two Person Show, Palm Springs, CA, 2012
- “Infinite Exposure,” Group Show, UCR-Palm Desert, CA, 2012
- “Modern Splendor,” Savage Gallery, Solo Show, Palm Springs, 2012
- "50 Shades of Great," Group Show, Archangel Gallery, Palm Springs, 2013
- Phantasmagoria - 5 artists, College of the Desert, Palm Desert, 2013
- JTAG gallery - received Honorable Mention in the group show - Joshua Tree, 2015
participated in these exhibits:
Exhibited with these artists
Exhibited with these artists:
Exhibited at these venues
Exhibited at these venues: