Bob Bennett grew up in Maine and New Hampshire, graduated from St Paul's School in Concord, N.H., in 1969... and then spent 20+ years in the Washington, D.C. area, before moving to California in 1992.
He's been an advertising art director ('76-'81), and was working as a freelance architectural photographer ('81-'91), when he opened the pandora's box of photomontage in the early '80's.
Since then, his work has been seen in a number of national publications, both 'on assignment' and as 'stock', and in galleries and competitive exhibits on both coasts.
He currently divides his time between shooting film, gathering pixels, & photomontage printing (still done exclusively in a simple 'traditional'/chemical darkroom), ...and various digital work - including digital photo-illustration & montage, web graphics development, and high-end digital printing - in Marin County, CA.
When he's not doing that?... he's definitely at the beach, or in the desert, somewhere...
Gallery Shows & Exhibits, Book & Magazine Exposure
• Two digital montage images included in 'Surreal Digital Photography' published by Ilex Press, UK.
• "See this rim - strongest made for the money"
•(darkroom montage print) included in group exhibit
•at Circle Elephant Gallery, Los Angeles, CA.
• Darkroom montage image "Explorer" used prominently in the book 'Black •& White Photography / Manifest Visions' published by Rockport •Publishers, Gloucester, Mass.
•'Explorer' poster published by Portal Publications, Corte Madera, CA.
• 'California Dreaming' - Bayfront Gallery, Fort Mason, SF, CA.
• Palm Springs Desert Museum, Artists council annual exhibit.
• Magnum Opus VIII, Sacramento Fine Arts center, Sacramento, CA.
• Contributed a print to Laguna Art Museum(Laguna, CA.) annual auction... which was sold.
• Contributed print to Center for Photography, Woodstock, NY - •Fundraising auction.
• Group exhibit, 'Darkside' - 8th St gallery, Albuquerque, NM.
• "Wierd photos" - Greene County Council on Arts, Catskill, NY.
• "Spirituality & Religiosity in America" 8th St Gallery, Albuquerque NM.
• Toledo Friends of Photography, '93 National Exhibit at University of
• Toledo's Center for Visual Arts.
• 'Earth Art' Associated artists of Winston-Salem NC, National Juried Photo • & Art Show. Sawtooth Galleries, Winston Salem, NC.
• Magnum Opus 93 - Sacramento Fine Arts center, Sacramento, CA.
• 'Showcase 93' All media Juried show, Beaverton Arts Commision, Cascade Plaza, Beaverton, OR.
•'Values - at the end of the 20th century' - Orange County Center for Contemporary Art, Santa Ana, CA.
• Tartt Gallery, Washington, DC, Group show
• Laguna Gloria Art Museum, Austin TX - "Beyond Photography"
1988 - 1996
Assignment illustrations done for many publications:
Washingtonian, Regardies, USA Today, Kiplingers,
Guitar Player, Keyboard, & Magical Blend to name a few.
You can see a sampling of them at:
• "Photo Derived", Indiana Univ. School of Fine Arts,
Juror - Joel Peter Witkin.
• Strathmore Hall, Bethesda, MD, 5th Annual Multimedia Show.
• Arlington Art Center, Arlington VA, 'Winter solos'.