The Center for Contemporary Art, opened in June 2008, stems from the protocol signed in February 1999 between the cities of Bragança and Zamora.
With a strong focus on culture as a factor for innovation and competitiveness, the project was designed with the prospect of closer cultural relations between the two cities, making them capable of implementing the concept of Cross Cultural Pole, integrating them in this way national roadmaps and international.
The project gains ground on 26 February 2001 with the signing of the protocol of cooperation between the Municipality of Bragança and the Serralves Foundation.
In October 2002, is its formal application to the INTERREG IIIA, under the name "Project Transmuseus" in which included the construction of the Contemporary Art Center of Portugal, with a project by architect Eduardo Souto Moura and construction of the Museum Baltasar Lobo, in Zamora, designed by the architect Jose Rafael Moneo.
Located in the historic city center, between two major thoroughfares of the city, the street Abilio Bags and Emidio Navarro and privileged view of the centenarian Cathedral Square, the Art Center occupies a building from the eighteenth century, constructed by Francisco Xavier da Veiga Cabral and subsequently acquired by José Sá Vargas. In 1936, under the will, the property passes ownership of the Holy House of Mercy, was acquired in 1940 by public auction, the Bank of Portugal to accommodate a delegation remained in business until March 1993.
In complete state of disrepair, and after a long period of negotiations that began in 1998, the building was purchased by the City Council in 2002.
The refurbishment and adaptation of the ancient manor and that embody the architectural work of Souto Moura had begun in October 2004 and continued until June 2008.
Result of a unanimous decision in Meeting House was later assigned to the device name of the painter transmontana Grace Mitchell, signed a Memorandum of Cooperation and Lending Agreement concluded on April 25, 2007.
Work on the renovation or expansion sunny equipment, denounced by the tangle of metal structures were forming an architectural excellence, equipped with the latest technology.
In architecture, where white is the dominant tone and every detail reveals the author's signature, a gain scale diversity of spaces such as reception area, library, coffee bar, terrace, garden, seven rooms devoted to the work of painter Grace Mitchell, education service rooms, office work, meeting room, temporary exhibition gallery, changing rooms, offices, reception area of work, the reserve collection and the great nave of temporary exhibitions.
"Drawing and painting 1982 - 2005" collection Grace Mitchell and "The colors do not say anything," Gerardo Burmester were the first art projects to occupy the exhibition spaces of the Art Center.