Opened to the public in 2008, the Nam June Paik Art Center, aspires to fulfill the artist’s wish by informing its activities through the development of creative and critical research into his thinking and practice. Inspired by the generosity, criticality, and interdisciplinary nature characteristic of both Paik’s work and life, the Nam June Paik Art Center is committed to developing the following:
- A permanent exhibition that contextualizes the artist’s practice, presenting pieces from the center’s collection alongside works on loan from other collections and institutions.
- A yearly program of temporary exhibitions exploring thematic issues and contemporary artistic and curatorial practices.
- An education program offering workshops, seminars, talks and events as platforms to discuss and explore new perspectives on Nam June Paik, as well as notions of creativity and engagement impacted upon by his practice.
- A collection that continues to grow and reflect the breadth of Paik’s contribution to the fields of music, artistic practice and media arts as well as the blurring of these distinctions potentiated by his practice.
- A publication and research program dedicated to investigating Nam June Paik’s legacy from alternative perspectives that emphasize and question the political and social significance, potentiality, and complexities of creativity and artistic practice.