Visitors receive a warm welcome when they enter the grand foyer of the Alexandria Museum of Art, constructed and opened to the public in March of 1998. The Museum was founded in 1977 and occupies the Historic Rapides Bank Building, circa 1898, listed on the National Historic Register.
The expanded AMoA is the centerpiece of Alexandria's riverfront, situated on the entire 900 block of Main Street. The museum comprises of exhibition spaces, curatorial and collection storage, administrative and education space and other public gathering areas.
Through its exhibition program of an ever-changing array of collections on loan from around the world, its extensive permanent collection of contemporary Louisiana art and the state's largest collection of North Louisiana Folk Art, AMoA entices visitors of diverse tastes.