The mission of the Fort Collins Museum of Art is to engage our community in cultural experiences that promote an awareness and appreciation of the visual arts. To offer our audiences the highest-quality art experiences, the Fort Collins Museum of Art presents a diverse series of exhibitions, community events, publications and educational programs for children and adults. The Fort Collins Museum of Art seeks to enrich the cultural life of the region and advance community understanding of the power of the visual arts to foster life-long learning, social interaction and personal inquiry.
The Fort Collins Museum of Art began operations in December 1990 as the One West Contemporary Art Center. It held its first exhibition in January 1991. The museum is housed in the old Post Office building in Old Town Fort Collins. Almost immediately after taking ownership of the building in 1990, FCMOA took important measures to address the urgent preservation needs of this 1912 architectural treasure.
The three-story Second Renaissance Revival structure was designed by James Knox Taylor, the supervising architect for the U.S. Treasury. Described at the time, as the "finest building in the city," the Post Office building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a designated Fort Collins local landmark.