STREET now open! Chicago | Los Angeles | Miami | New York | San Francisco | Santa Fe
Amsterdam | Berlin | Brussels | London | Paris | São Paulo | Toronto | China | India | Worldwide
 
Worldwide

The Sheldon Art Galleries

Exhibition Detail
Circus Summer
3648 Washington Boulevard
Saint Louis, MO 63108


June 7th, 2013 - August 31st, 2013
Opening: 
June 7th, 2013 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM
 
Circus Flora, Alexandrya WrightAlexandrya Wright, Circus Flora,
2013, pastel on paper, 23 x 35 1/8
© Courtesy of the artist and Studio W. Photograph by Allied Photocolor
> QUICK FACTS
WEBSITE:  
http://www.thesheldon.org
COUNTRY:  
United States
EMAIL:  
marketing@thesheldon.org
PHONE:  
314.533.9900
OPEN HOURS:  
Tuesdays, 12 noon – 8 p.m. Wednesdays - Fridays, 12 noon – 5 p.m. Saturdays, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
TAGS:  
ceramics, film, mixed-media, sculpture
> DESCRIPTION

In 2012, the Sheldon Art Galleries partnered with Circus Flora to sponsor an art contest and exhibition of children's art inspired by the circus. Children who attended Circus Flora were encouraged to express their love of the circus's high wire and horseback acts, the St. Louis Arches and Nino the Clown, among others. Included in the exhibition are a festive 3-D carousel and clown portraits made by Junior and Senior Kindergarten students of The Wilson School, and evocations of acts from inside the big top by students of Central Visual and Performing Arts High School, Studio W., The Wilson School, and young people who attended Circus Flora last summer. Drawing, painting, sculpture, ceramics and mixed media works are included in the exhibition. Also on view is the 1927 film, Calder's Circus, directed by Jean Painlévé. Alexander Calder became fascinated with the circus in his mid-twenties, when he published illustrations of Barnum and Bailey's circus in a New York journal. He created a miniature, articulated working circus in Paris in 1927, which the filmmaker, Jean Painlévé, documented in this film.


Copyright © 2006-2013 by ArtSlant, Inc. All images and content remain the © of their rightful owners.