Ferdinand Hodler (1853-1919), the outstanding Swiss painter of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, created two versions of his important composition ‘The Truth.’ The first of these has now been restored and will be on display in the collection, together with the second version and other works by Hodler.
Measuring 196 x 273 cm, the monumental first version of the oil painting ‘The Truth’ was created in 1902. It comes from the collection of Alfred Rütschi and was donated to the Kunsthaus Zürich by his heirs in 1929. At the centre of the composition stands a nude woman, flanked to left and right by sinister, symmetrically arranged ‘dark men,’ all of them turning away from her. For Hodler the woman represents the truth from which the forces of darkness are compelled to take flight.