This exhibition features 40 drawings and paintings by Edward Boccia made between 1941 and 1969. Known for his large, expressionist diptychs, triptychs and polyptychs, Boccia infused his canvases with figures from Greek and Italian mythology and Christian symbolism. His paintings exhibit an affinity to the work of Max Beckmann, and his early drawings to those of Vincent Van Gogh. Boccia was born in 1921 in Newark, New Jersey and received his art training at Pratt Institute, the Art Students League of New York and Columbia University. He served in the U.S. Armed Forces during World War II. During the war, Boccia used art supplies sent from home and painted from cafés and foxholes, sometimes during intense fighting.
In 1951, Boccia was recruited by Washington University in St. Louis for the position of Assistant Dean, and was a beloved professor there for over 30 years. He was awarded the status of Professor Emeritus in 1986. Boccia's works are included in the permanent collections of the St. Louis Art Museum; the Denver Art Museum; the Nelson-Atkins Museum, Kansas City; the St. Louis University Museum of Art; Washington University's Mildred Lane Kemper Art Museum; the National Pinakothek in Athens; and more than 600 private collections.