send + receive is an international festival that investigates the discipline of experimental music and sound art, and is one of the few annual media arts festivals in North America focusing exclusively on sound-based work.
The 15th anniversary edition of send + receive: a festival of sound will take place from October 9 – 12 and will feature artists and works that investigate the theme transcendence through unique concerts, performances, screenings, artist talks and installation events.
This edition features artists from across Canada and abroad who explore ritual, trance, mysticism, visual music, communication with the afterlife, seeking the miraculous in the ordinary and interpreting sound in a world that you cannot hear – bringing an exceptional experience to Winnipeg through aural exploration.
For this very special edition we welcome:
• Forefathers of American drone, transcendental performance and ecstatic music, TONY CONRAD and CHARLEMAGNE PALESTINE (presented in partnerships with Plug In ICA & Groundswell).
• Eccentric Swedish performance duo SONS OF GOD (Leif Elggren & Kent Tankred)
• Synth gurus celebrating the new age and kosmische movements of the past, LE RÉVÉLATEUR (QC) and MAGNETICRING (BC)
• Late innovator of mystical visual music JORDAN BELSON (US) and burgeoning contemporary film/video artist SABRINA RATTÉ (QC – le Révélateur)
• Local guitar drone maestro GREENHOUSE (MB)
• Whimsical deaf American sound artist CHRISTINE SUN KIM (US), presented in partnership with Arts & Disability Network Manitoba’s SEE ME HEAR festival.
• VOICES FROM THE BEYOND: THE EVP PROJECT, a mammoth project featuring installations/performances by: RUBY KATO-ATTWOOD (QC), ELISABETH BELIVEAU (QC), IRENE BINDI (MB), KARA BLAKE (QC), DOREEN GIRARD (MB), ANDREA ROBERTS (MB), KATHY ROSE (NY), ERIN SEXTON (QC), LESLIE SUPNET (MB), MALENA SZLAM (QC), GWEN TRUTNAU (MB)
Full festival details, locations, bios and more are up online at sendandreceive.org
Individual entry is available at all events and full festival passes are available at INTO THE MUSIC and PLUG IN ICA for $35. Discounted accommodations at the FAIRMONT HOTEL are available to guests of send + receive.
For details on guest accommodations, interview requests, volunteer inquiries and more…contact our Director crys cole @ firstname.lastname@example.org | 204.898.0198
(Image: Courtesy send + receive)