The Keyholder Residency Program offers emerging artists free 24-hour access to printmaking facilities to develop new work and foster their artistic careers. Residencies are free and one year long, starting on April 1st and October 1st each year, and they take place in the shared Artists’ Studio, including the solvent/etching area and the darkroom.
Keyholders work independently, in a productive atmosphere alongside other contemporary artists. Artists from all disciplines are eligible to apply; print-making skills are not required, but some familiarity with the medium is recommended. Basic instruction in printmaking techniques is available for new Keyholders. Technical assistance is not included in the program, but is available at additional cost.
Participation is competitive. Applications are evaluated by a rotating committee of artists, critics, curators, and art professionals based on the quality of submitted artwork. A total of 8 artists are awarded the residency annually. Artists based in the New York City area and without access to a studio space are encouraged to apply.
Keyholder Residency includes:
• 24-hour shared studio access
• $1,000 stipend
• storage space
• basic supplies (newsprint, blotters, solvents, cleaners)
• one free class in printmaking and consultations with Master Printers
• 20% discount on all Printshop classes
• free career development workshops
• free digital documentation of selected works produced during the residency
• inclusion in the Printshop's permanent collection
• opportunities to show new work in exhibitions and other public events presented by the Printshop
Keyholder Residencies have been supported in large part by grants from the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governer Andrew Cuomo and New York State Legislature, Jerome Foundation, NYC Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council, New York Community Trust, PECO Foundation, and Milton and Sally Avery Arts Foundation.
|Keyholder Residency Program Application Guidelines
Next deadline: September 1, 2013, 6PM EST
for residencies beginning October 1, 2013.
Electronic submissions only, no exceptions
• Only current legal US residents may apply (Social Security Number is a must!)
• Students enrolled in any kind of degree program at the time of the residency are not eligible
• Keyholder Residencies are limited to emerging artists only. The Printshop defines emerging artists as under-recognized and under-represented artists at early stages in their careers
• Artists without access to a studio space are encouraged to apply
• Past recipients of the Keyholder Residency are not eligible
• Artist duos or teams are not eligible; residencies are awarded per artist
• Artist must reside in the New York metro area during the year of residency
• up to 8 digital images of recent (past 2 years) work *
• image list: your name, work title, year, medium, and dimensions
• application form
• artistic resume
• names and contact information for two references
* Images should be in JPEG format, resolution 200 pixel/inch, maximum dimensions 800 x 800 pixels, RGB color mode. Title each image as "Last Name_First Name_#" (ex. Smith_Pat_01.jpg). The panel will only consider still images, no video. Images will be projected from a Mac computer.
Materials must be submitted by 6PM EST on the deadline date, no exceptions.
No phone and/or email inquiries about the status of your application, please. All applicants will be notified of the panel's decision by email before the residency start date.
The Printshop does not provide housing assistance