curator & artist
b.1977 in Reykjavik, Iceland
Lives in Berlin & Reykjavik
• 2004, MA of Fine Arts at the Piet Zwart Institute of Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
• 2001, BA of Fine Arts at The Icelandic Academy of the Arts in Reykjavik, Iceland.
• 2000, Exchange student at the Kuvataide Academy of the Arts in Helsinki, Finland. • 1997, College graduation from MR College in Reykjavik.
SELECTED CURATORIAL PROJECTS
• 2013(June), Assistant curator, with curator & critic Gregory Volk, of group exhibition “Elemental” at Havremagasinet in Boden, Sweden. Among artists; Lawrence Weiner, Olafur Eliasson, Joan Jonas, Roman Signer, Karin Sander, Birgir Andresson, Ragna Robertsdottir. http://havremagasinet.se
• 2013(April), Co-curator of an exhibition of Nordic video artists at the Streaming Museum & Scandinavia House, New York City, USA. With curators Daniela Arriado, Kati Kivinen and Jacob Lillemose. In collaboration with Kiasma Museum in Helsinki, Screen City - Festival for Moving Image in Stavanger, Gothenburg Biennial, Denmark Museum of Architecture in Copenhagen and The Reykjavik Art Museum, www.streamingmuseum.org (Catalogue)
• 2013(March), Curator of a retrospective exhibition on the extensive writings of psychic Ms. Erla Stefansdottir, and a selection of her thousands of drawings of elves, hidden people and their habitats in Iceland, auraic portraits and energy-lines of sacred places. At Hafnarborg Art Museum in Reykjavik. http://hafnarborg.is
• 2013(March), Curator of a group exhibition of 10 artists and 10 healers in Iceland, whose works are greatly influenced by New Age theory. At Hafnarborg Art Museum in Reykjavik. http://hafnarborg.is
• 2012, Curator of an exhibition of artists Helgi Thorsson and Steingrimur Eyfjörd, at „Tidens Krav Gallery“ in Oslo, Norway. www.tidenskrav.org
• 2012, Curator of exhibition „Faster and Slower Lines“, of a selection of over 100 drawings/line-works from the SAFN Private Collection of Contemporary Art, at The Reykjavik Art Museum. www.listasafnreykjavikur.is
• 2011, Co-curator of exhibition „Nordic Art Today; Conceptual Debts, Broken Dreams and New Horizons“ at Loft Project Etagi, St. Petersburg, Russia. With Aura Seikkula, Kari Brandtzaeg, Power Ekroth and Simon Sheikh. www.nordicarttoday.ru (Catalogue)
• 2010, Curator of group exhibition „9 – Social Arrangement“, of 9 Icelandic artists at Gerdarsafn Art Museum in Kopavogur, Iceland. http://gerdarsafn.is (Catalogue)
• 2010, Curator of exhibition „Alternative Eye“, at The Reykjavik Art Museum. www.listasafnreykjavikur.is
• 2010, Co-curator of exhibition „Museum Mysteries“ at The Akureyri Art Museum, Iceland. With Hannes Sigurdsson. Artists: Ingolfur Arnarson, Ivar Brynjolfsson, Ivar Valgardsson, Jon Laxdal and Kristjan Gudmundsson. (Catalogue)
• 2009, Co-curator of exhibition „Volcano Lovers“, at Ise Foundation, Manhattan, New York. 8 Icelandic and Japanese artists. With Shinya Watanabe. www.volcanolovers.net (catalogue)
• 2009- ́11, Director of and co-curator at The Living Art Museum in Reykjavik. www.nylo.is
• 2008, Curator of Icelandic artist Gudrun Kristjansdottir ́s solo exhibition, „Weather Writing“, at Hafnarborg Art Center in Hafnarfjördur, Iceland. (Catalogue)
• 2008- ́09, Artistic Director and chief curator of Art Foundation 101 Projects in Reykjavik. Artist ́s solo exhibitions: Susan Hiller, Mathilde Ter Heijne, Tamy Ben Tor, David Örn Halldorsson.
• 2008, Curator ́s assistant and researcher for group exhibition Textiles and the Social Fabric at MuHKA; Museum for Contemporary Art in Antwerp, Belgium. Curator: Grant Watson. http://www.muhka.be (Catalogue)
• 2008, Curator of solo exhibition of Steingrimur Eyfjörd at the Nordatlantens Brygge in Copenhagen. www.bryggen.dk (Catalogue)
• 2007, Curator of exhibition „Healer-inside and out“, with artists Ryan Parteka, Sigridur Johannsdottir and Björk Gudnadottir, at Kling & Bang Gallery in Reykjavik. http://this.is/klingogbang
• 2006, Curator of group-exhibition „The Other Side of Things(On the Other Side)“ of
5 Icelandic artists, at BUS Gallery in Melbourne, Australia.
• 2005- ́08, Chief curator at SAFN; private collection of contemporary art, in Reykjavik. www.safn.is
• 2005, Curator´s assistant and daily manager of the Icelandic Pavilion at the 51st Venice Biennial, Italy. Exhibiting artist; Gabriela Fridriksdottir.
• 2002-, Producer of home-gallery Dwarf Gallery in Reykjavik.
SELECTED ART RELATED WORK, COURSES AND PROJECTS
• 2013-, Vice board member of The Museum Council of Iceland.
• 2012, Talk and participation in a panel discussion at “The Armory Show” art fair in New York. At the occasion of the Nordic focus at this edition of the fair, curated by Malmö Kunsthalle director Jacob Fabricius. Title of the session is; „Peripatetic Models for Utopistic Cultural Exchange“, focusing on the Nordic model as an example. www.thearmoryshow.com
• 2012, Writing for Norwegian artist Andreas Siqueland for his catalogue and solo show at Oslo Kunsthögskole Gallery in Oslo, Norway.
• 2012, Writing for The Icelandic Art Awards; Sjonlistaverdlaunin.
• 2012, Writing for English artist Charlotte McGowanGriffin for her catalogue and solo show at Fruehsorge Drawing Contemporary in Berlin. www.fruehsorge.com
• 2012-, Vice board member of The Art Theory Association of Iceland.
• 2011, One of 12 international, independent curators invited for the „Curatorial Intensive“ program at ICI-Independent Curators International. Course leaders: Kate Fowle, Teresa Gleadowe, Christian Rattemeyer, Sofia-Hernandez Chong Cuy, Matthew Higgs, Mark Dion, Mari Spirito, Anne Barlow and Cecilia Alemani. http://www.ici-exhibitions.org
• 2011, Invited as an international, independent curator for “The Cornwall Workshop”, by invitation from its main organiser curator Teresa Gleadowe and Tate Museum (Tate St. Ives). Leaders: Mark Dion, Sally Tallant, Mark Clark, Lori Waxman. www.thecornwallworkshop.com
• 2008, Participation in “Curators ́ Invitational”, exchange platform. Invited by Art Forum Berlin.
• 2008-, Ongoing collaboration with Nordic and Baltic curator ́s collective WAG.
• 2008, Member of editorial board of “Sjonauki Art Magazine” in Iceland.
• 2008- ́10, Member of selection-committee at The Icelandic Academy of the Arts.
• 2008- ́11, Board member of The Living Art Museum in Reykjavik.
• 2008, Commissioned curatorial contribution to Icelandic art magazine “Sjonauki”.
• 2008, Co-course leader of Carnival-Dialogue at the Visual Arts Department of The Icelandic Academy of the Arts. Together with artist Huginn Thor Arason.
• 2007, One of four speakers at Berlin Art Forum Talks, on contemporary art in Reykjavik.
• 2007- ́08, Participation in Nordic Baltic Curatorial Platform; workshop of curators of the Nordic and Baltic countries. Organised by Veronica Wiman at FRAME.
• 2007, Article written on the Reykjavik art scene, for New York Art Magazine.
• 2007, Writing for catalogue of Young Baltic Biennial, on Icelandic artist Elin Hansdottir.
• 2007, Writing for Icelandic artist Ragna Robertsdottir for her solo show at i8 Gallery, Reykjavik
• 2006-2010, Boardmember of SIM-The Association of Icelandic Artists in Reykjavik.
• 2006-, Co-founder and board member of Sequences Real-time Art Festival in Reykjavik.
• 2006, Member of selection-committee of The Icelandic Academy of the Arts.
• 2004-‘05, Assistant at commercial gallery i8 Gallery in Reykjavik.
• 2004, Co-creator of multidisciplinary project “Glow”, in collaboration with dancer
Margret Sara Gudjonsdottir and musician KiraKira. In collaboration with think-tank Kitchenmotors, The Reykjavik Art Festival and artfestival “Etoiles Polaires” at art center Vooruit in Gent, Belgium.
• 2004, Artwork made for the cover of art and design magazine Stereo in Rotterdam.
• 2003, Participation in a course of artist Olafur Eliasson and Rirkrit Tiravanija at the Academy of Fine Arts in Venice(IUAV), in Italy.
• 2003, Artwork made for the bookwork Trans/Gender, edited by Nina Hoechtl and
Suzanne van Rossenberg. Published by Revolver Verlag.
• 2002, Two performance-theater events in collaboration with authors Gudrun Eva Minervudottir and Vala Thorsdottir, the National TV/Radio and Reykjavik Art Festival.
• 2001, Workshop in the Nordic Artists' Centre in Dale in Dalsåsen, Norway.
SOLO EXHIBITIONS (as an artist)
• 2009, The house in Drangsnes in Iceland.
• 2009, Mosfellsbaer Art Center in Mosfellsbaer, Iceland.
• 2008, Turpentine Gallery in Reykjavik.
• 2007, BOX Gallery, artist run exhibition space in Akureyri, Iceland
• 2007, Reykjavik Art Museum, in Reykjavik.
• 2005, Sudsudvestur Gallery; an artist-run exhibition space in Keflavik, Iceland.
• 2003, De 5er; an artist-run exhibition space of Marjolijn Dijkman, in Rotterdam.
• 2002, i8 Gallery; Under the Stairs Space. Commercial art gallery, Reykjavik.
• 2000, Gallery Gulp, an artist-run traveling gallery, then situated in Reykjavik.
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS (as an artist)
• 2012, Safnasafnasafn, Safnasafnid Folk Art Museum, Iceland.
• 2010, Acknowledging Knowledge, Arnesinga Art Museum, Iceland.
• 2009, 7 Sails, internet-exhibition, Heriot Toun Studio in Midloathian, Scotland.
• 2007, Trygve Lie Gallery, commercial gallery in New York, USA.
• 2007, Kaliningrad State Art Gallery, Cityborderlands, in Kalingrad, Russia.
• 2007, Nordic House, Cityborderlands, in Reykjavik.
• 2006, Fredriks Bastion, Cityborderlands, in Copenhagen.
• 2006, The Living Art Museum in Reykjavik, in exhibition More is More.
• 2005, Berliner Liste, artfair in Berlin, Germany. With artists of Klink & Bank Gallery.
• 2005, Angro-house, together with artist Gudjon Ketilsson, in Seydisfjordur, Iceland.
• 2004, Nordic House, in the exhibition Wintermass, Reykjavik.
• 2004, Museum Boijmans van Beuningen in exhibition Rotterdam Exposure 2004,
an exhibition of selected works of young artists in Rotterdam.
• 2004, Graduation show, Piet Zwart Institute, TENT Center for visual Arts, Rotterdam
• 2004, Glasgow Project Room, an artist-run space. In exhibition Gathering Thoughts, in Glasgow, Scotland.
• 2003, Reykjavik Art Museum, Ecce Femina; self-portraits of female artists.
• 2003, The Living Art Museum, in an exhibition titled Grassroots, Reykjavik.
• 2003, Locus010, an artist-run space. In exhibition Nachtwacht, in Rotterdam.
• 2002, Gallery Slunkariki, in exhibition Second in Isafjördur, Iceland.
• 2001, ASI; Art Municipal Art Museum in exhibition First in Reykjavik.
• 2011, Nominated for the DV Art Prize, for exhibition „9 - Social Arrangement“ at Gerdarsafn Art Museum, as a curator.
• 2008, Gunnar Dungal - Penninn Art Award, as an artist.