BOLT RESIDENCY APPLICATION
CHICAGO ARTISTS’ COALITION
For 36 years, Chicago Artists’ Coalition (CAC) has been at the forefront of artist advocacy, providing a bridge between artists and the communities in which they live and work. It is our mission to educate the general public on the value of art in society while providing support, advocacy, and professional development to artists in our community and improving artists’ living and working conditions. CAC designs hybrid programming that provides professional development, exhibition opportunities and access to affordable workspace, while simultaneously engaging the public through educational and social events.
Bolt Residency is a highly competitive and juried artist program housed in the former FLATFILEgalleries, an 8,000 square foot space in the vibrant, art-centric West Loop neighborhood. Bolt Residency is a one-year artist residency program consisting of nine subsidized studios and professional exhibition space with ongoing professional development programming and support from CAC staff. Bolt Residency engages the Chicago arts community and its public in critical dialogue about contemporary art. CAC programs foster community and stimulate invention, risk and innovative artistic practice.
BOLT RESIDENCY STUDIO RENT INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING AMENITIES:
- Dynamic, in-depth collaborations with prominent Chicago curators, cultural institutions, visiting artists, gallery directors and dealers, and collectors
- Supportive environment that promotes and evolves artists’ professional and artistic practices; providing ample space for the development of groundbreaking work
- Vital services and programs that provide artists with opportunities to build new audiences and meaningful connections to industry and business leaders throughout the Chicagoland area
- Full and free access to CAC’s Art.Business.Create (A.B.C), a series of intensive educational workshops and consultations designed to build artists’ professional business skills ($200 value)
- Marketing and promotional support from CAC, including coordination with the West Loop’s gallery walks, open studios and exhibition openings for increased visibility and exposure
- Open floor plan, work-only (non-residential). $1.50 - 1.75/sq ft.
- Ample storage space, two bathrooms, slop sink
- Professional exhibition space
- Secure late night and weekend access
(5) Front Room Studios: $455 for 260 sq.ft.
(1) Private Studio: $525 for 300 sq.ft.
(3) Back Room: $390 for 260 sq.ft.
April 1: Application released and jury announced at www.caconline.org/bolt-residency
April 29 (12pm): Application and supplementary materials are due via email
May 18: Announce finalists selected by jury
May 23-May 27: Finalists interview with CAC staff
May 31: Announce Bolt Residents
June 15: Bolt Residents move in to 217 N Carpenter
OPEN HOUSE: Sunday, April 10 from 2-5pm and Tuesday, April 19 from 5:30-8:30pm at 217 N Carpenter. Tours every 15/20 minutes.
MOVE IN DATE
Move in date: June 15, 2011. Security Deposit: Two months’ rent.
Submissions are evaluated by a jury of four professional peers from Chicago’s leading cultural institutions. Jury selected finalists will be interviewed by CAC staff.
Artists who wish to apply as collaborators or apply to share space must apply individually and send individual fees, application and support materials (collaborators must include a separate page describing your collaborative proposal).
Types of Disciplines: painting, works on paper, photography, new media, installation and film. Sculptors, performers and sound artists are encouraged to apply, but may be limited by materials. Please contact Cortney at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, color, sex, age, veteran status, or disability.
Applicants must be Current CAC members. To check on status or to join, please contact Alyson Koblas at email@example.com. (Artists who apply before April 22 receive a $20 discount on CAC membership.)
Applicants need to reside in the Chicagoland area during residency.
Applications must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org as attachments and include:
- Completed Application (available online www.caconline.org/bolt-residency)
- Resume (as PDF attachment)
- Work Samples (max 10 images, SUBMITTED ONLY AS JPEG’s, no larger than 72dpi) as attachment. WORK SAMPLES MUST INCLUDE: TITLE, DIMENSIONS, DATE AND MEDIUM.
- Non-refundable $25 application fee (paid via our secure online terminal and accessible at www.caconline.org/bolt-residency)