Founded in 1979 by Mr and Mrs Mark and Marleen Deweer in Otegem, a small village in the south of West-Flanders, DEWEER gallery is currently starting the second big chapter of its existence.
Both sons of the gallery’s founders, Gerald and Bart Deweer, have indeed recently taken over the lead of the gallery with the intention to continue playing a dynamic role on the scene of the international contemporary arts and to promote a new generation of artists by means of strong gallery exhibitions and regular participations at the most important international art fairs.
The change of generation can be observed not only from the ambitious gallery program, but also from the renovation of the gallery buildings. Since the mid-80s DEWEER gallery is housed in an exceptionally vast building that once hosted a small industrial company. In the course of 2011 the gallery spaces will be renovated consistently. The result of the far going architectural operation will a.o. mean that the gallery’s public spaces (entrance lounge and exhibition rooms) will be doubled into a total surface of approx. 1200 m².
The new and enlarged gallery will open in March 2012 with a group show that will illustrate Gerald and Bart Deweer’s intentions with regard to the renewal of the gallery’s program.
All of this will perfectly enable DEWEER gallery to confirm its primary policy options and to further develop them. DEWEER gallery aims to be an internationally active gallery with an equally international effervescence, for artists of different nationalities and of different disciplinary categories, of emerging, young artists, mid-career and established artists, thus representing a fine group of artists that show a critical mix of rational, emotional and poetical qualities.